Thursday, June 19, 2008

This little piggy said "Wii, Wii, Wii" all the way home

Today I had the pleasure of linking a wiimote to my PC! ...and I actually got it to connect!

I am using TRENDnet TBW105UB (USB Bluetooth Dongle)
I found this device on a list of compatible Bluetooth adapters:
http://www.wiili.org/index.php/Compatible_Bluetooth_Devices

If you have made attempts before... please read this whole post before following my instructions... I will not assume any responsibility for what you do to your computer.

What worked for me?

First I connected the dongle to the PC... I am running Windows XP pro SP2. So Windows did its own thing and got the dongle installed and working. Bueno!

Next I installed a software which was mentioned in the list of compatible bluetooth hardware specifically for this TRENDnet adapter. "Broadcom update"
http://www.broadcom.com/products/bluetooth_update.php

I also need to install a software to communicate with the wiimote. I am using "wiiFlash Server 0.3.2" Here is a google-code link:
http://code.google.com/p/wiiflash/downloads/list



After installing the broadcom update I opened the "add bluetooth device" wizard.(bluetooth setup wizard) When the wizard begins searching for the device, I hit the connect/sync button on the wiimote. (the little red button inside the battery compartment.) The wiimote shows as "Nintendo RVL-CNT-01"

I click on the wiimote icon and hit the "next" button. I quickly skipped over the security password(no password needed.) I am moving quickly because I do not want the wiimote to power off... On the next screen When the wiimote shows up in the menu - I quickly select the "checkbox" and hit "finish."

I quickly open up wiiFlashServer0.3.2 and then my wiimote "rumbles" letting me know that I am connected. Now, my wiimote will not power off. Whew!

From here I have not figured out what to do next. I will be adding to this post as I figure out more. I am looking into a program called foxglove which will allow me to assign the function of the wiimote buttons.

One important note: If the wiimote loses connection with the computer(powering off)... What I have had to do is... Close the WiiFlashServer application. (you must close the app by right clicking on the icon next to your clock. Hitting the "x" only minimizes the app. After WiiFlashServer is shut down, open up "my bluetooth places." Then I have to disable the controller I see in the window (which will also delete the icon from the window.) Then I follow the steps of adding the bluetooth device all over again, starting in the same window by clicking "add a bluetooth device." I am still looking into an easier way to reconnect if the connection is lost. But right now the only success I have had is to get rid of it and completely make a fresh bluetooth connection. I hope there is an easier way. I will be looking into WiiFlashServer0.4 (but it is in prerelease at the moment.)

More to come! Stay tuned!

No comments: