Monday, March 3, 2008

Flash Usability

I have recently began dealing with flash usability problems. For instance, what if you have a flash site and you want google to find the contact page of your swf? Google would normally only find the html which is embedding the swf file. Users will only find the main screen of your swf. Then again, they may not find it without the correct meta tags or html text.

Flash supports deep-linking anchor tags. This is completely under-utilized.

here's the trick:

I have my index page with my swf embedded in it, nothing out of the normal. Then I create html pages to represent the sections within the swf file that I want the search engine to find. This html page which represents the section desired is nothing more than a javascript redirect page, and I can make that redirect to any anchored section of my swf I want. Within this html the meta tags will contain words and phrases which will allow the search engine to find this "page" of my swf even though there is not truly a devoted page to this content. I am excited to add this to my toolbox, and I am happy to make my Flash more usable.

No comments: